Tufat's Assault Group

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Yes, I'm a tree hugger!  (Read 2794 times)

Q-dad~TAG

• The Rocketeer
  • Admin
  • DF2 Forever!
    • TXP
TXP (Terrain Xpansion Pack) for DF2: txp.df2.org

MickyD TAG

• Admin
  • Games: GTAIV, CIV V, Forsaken World. PS3: GT5
Re: Yes, I'm a tree hugger!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 06:30:54 AM »

Q.....a tree hugger....never would have guest that, lol.

j/k

I can see the argument from both sides, and whilst I agree that what we are doing with fossil fuels isn't the cause of global climatic change, I sure as hell don't think its helping. We need a real reason that everyone can see and understand irrefutably  before we take the next step in finding new and alternative power sources.

I sometimes think we need another good war, to get things moving again. Lets face facts we moved on in leaps and bounds during the last 100 years or so because we had 2 world wars. We went from simple aircraft to super/hyper sonic aircraft, with tech that has now filtered down to some everyday items in our vehicles, that have also come on leaps and bounds in the last 100 years. Also mainly due to need through war.

Unfortunately to get governments to spend money on new technologies there generally has to be something catastrophic like a war. Just look at what we achieved from 1900 to 2000.

To get to the next level in power sources, I think we are going to need something drastic like a war or even a natural catastrophe to happen again. It would appear that some people are already trying to make the former happen.

btw, I do not want a war, I just think that this is the way most governments act around the world.

Q-dad~TAG

• The Rocketeer
  • Admin
  • DF2 Forever!
    • TXP
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 06:08:49 PM »

I can see the argument from both sides, and whilst I agree that what we are doing with fossil fuels isn't the cause of global climatic change, I sure as hell don't think its helping. We need a real reason that everyone can see and understand irrefutably  before we take the next step in finding new and alternative power sources.
Well, I'm no scientist, so I can't tell if we're ourselves responsible or not, but that's not the real issue here... IF we're guilty through the changes we've caused during the last couple of hundred years, THEN we might be able to reverse the process... IF, on the other hand, we're NOT guilty, and it's "just" old mother Earth doing what she does to herself once in a while, like the "anti-tree huggers" want us to believe, THAT's when we're in real trouble, since then we don't have a clue about what to do in order to reverse the process, or how long it would take us or her to do it...

I sometimes think we need another good war, to get things moving again. Lets face facts we moved on in leaps and bounds during the last 100 years or so because we had 2 world wars. We went from simple aircraft to super/hyper sonic aircraft, with tech that has now filtered down to some everyday items in our vehicles, that have also come on leaps and bounds in the last 100 years. Also mainly due to need through war.
What's a "good war"...? I don't believe the environment is depending on another "good war", but I'm rather concerned about the possibility that the economy of the western world is depending on it... So, who's next...?

Unfortunately to get governments to spend money on new technologies there generally has to be something catastrophic like a war. Just look at what we achieved from 1900 to 2000.

To get to the next level in power sources, I think we are going to need something drastic like a war or even a natural catastrophe to happen again. It would appear that some people are already trying to make the former happen.
True, I'm hoping that we can move on without those things happening...

btw, I do not want a war, I just think that this is the way most governments act around the world.
Me too...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 06:10:46 PM by Q-dad~TAG »

MickyD TAG

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 12:21:50 AM »

Quote from: Q-dad~TAG
What's a "good war"...?

Perhaps a bad choice of wording for a typed forum, when I said a 'good war'. Of course NO war is good. What I really meant was another major war, where many countries are involved. Unfortunately wars do drive developments of new tech's faster than normal.

As far as the mother nature doing what she does, I don't think theres much we can do about that.

The facts are that England (I only use this as an example) as a country has seen both a period of desert type climate, through to an ice age and back again. This can all be proved with the discoveries of both glacial rips in the landscape, and coral reef formations some way inland from our current coast lines. There is also proof that even as close as when the Romans were here, the seas were much lower than they are now, with Roman settlements found some 1 mile out into the English channel. This would suggest that there was a lot more ice around during this period, to make the seas lower.

Global warming is happening thats a fact. Like I said before I don't think we are helping the planet by pumping tonnes of gases into the atmosphere. If we continue to pump out gases and eradicate our rain forests as we are now then we are going to have some really bad problems in the future. For an idea of how bad it could get, take a look at the planet Venus.

What the governments and scientists need to do is all get some irrefutable proof that we are having an impact. This way certain groups/governments cannot then find an argument NOT to do something. Until we all get on the same wavelength about climate change etc.. nothing proper will happen.

I am open to changing the way with think and lead our lives, I just don't understand why the powers that be seemingly cannot agree on climate change and do nothing to find an answer to power supply.

I remember a few years back there was a big competition for something like $1million to be the first amateur to get an aircraft into space. Maybe we need a similar competition now to find a way of producing renewable power/fuel cleanly.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 12:25:46 AM by MickyD TAG »

Q-dad~TAG

• The Rocketeer
  • Admin
  • DF2 Forever!
    • TXP
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 06:58:16 PM »

Great post - I totally agree.

Evilintions

• TAG Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 06:03:09 AM »

I do belive we already have the technologies to move past fossile fuels. We started using petrol as a fuel over 100 years ago in differnt forms. ask yourself, what other holdovers from turn of the centry do we still use in modern industry or everyday households? What if it was something that was not so easy to get rich off of? Burning coal is one of the biggest reasons for the trees dying off in mass all up the moutians of the US east coast, but.....we still HAVE to have it to run power stations.
All the stuff they have come up with in te last 50 years you tell me the best they can do for energy is a huge wind mill? The il industery is too tangled in big goverment.

Q-dad~TAG

• The Rocketeer
  • Admin
  • DF2 Forever!
    • TXP
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 03:49:51 PM »

It's all about money, I believe... The powers which earn a lot of money from the oil industry are eager to hold on to that income, but if they're smart, they'll soon invest more money into alternative energy sources, since at one point, there won't be much oil left. The smartest thing would be to increase those investments already now, i.e. before we've run out of oil, since SOME oil will always be needed in the future, even if alternative energy sources should start becoming popular.

MickyD TAG

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 08:43:30 AM »

Our reliance on oil will always be there to an extent as you said Q, but that will diminish with time.

On a plus note, Honda are producing their Hydrogen powered car in small number for select people in California, which will hopefully get the ball rolling properly towards alternate fuels. The Hydrogen powered cars only by product is on the face of it only water. Although I question where and how they will produce enough hydrogen sustainably for this to work.

Also Mercedes have announced they will have an alternate powered car in production by 2014.

So there are moves in the right direction, but while the money is tied into the likes of OPEC and governments its gonna be a long and messy ride.

smalldogTAG

• TAG Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 12:17:55 PM »

Interesting stuff, I have heard weird rumours in the past.  ie a ceramic engine (frictionless) was developed, car manafacturers quelled it as it would cut into their profits.  Another was an unbreakable light bulb.  I think the truth is as usual to do with money, oil companies will buy out patents to stop any new developments that threaten them, no good asking government to stop it as the US president usually uses oil money to get into power.